Friday 7 October 2011

Fire Escape

I was invited to show a piece of work at an exhibition with the title "Notions of Paradise"
I had a few initial ideas but nothing that excited me.

That was until I saw these!!!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of them in their original state. They where the Fire escape stairs for the flats above a launderette.
The launderette and flats had been demolished and all that remained were these stairs. 
Stairs that led to nowhere! 
That were black, corroded/rusty and covered in moss I asked the builders if i could have them and was told if I could move them by the end of the day then they were mine.



The stairs in my studio.


What I liked about them was the fact that they were intended to only be used to go one way...down! as they were a fire exit route from the first floor.





No comments:

Post a Comment